June 27, 2018
The Asia Group, LLC is now accepting applications for a Japan Associate to join our Washington, DC office. This posting is for an immediate hire and submissions will be considered on a rolling basis.
The Asia Group is a strategic and business advisory firm that supports Fortune 500 corporations with market entry and expansion strategies and complex conflict resolution initiatives in the Indo-Pacific. The Asia Group’s clients cover a broad range of industries, including: aerospace and defense, autos, civil aviation, energy/extractives, financial services, ICT, pharmaceuticals, transportation, entertainment, and hospitality.
The Asia Group is looking for highly motivated candidates who have a Master’s degree in a related field, an MBA, or equivalent work experience. The Japan Associate would serve as an integral member of The Asia Group’s Japan practice, working closely with TAG Chairman and CEO Kurt Campbell, and Partner Brian Andrews to serve clients across a wide array of industries. The ideal candidate commands a strong understanding of Japanese domestic political dynamics, U.S.-Japan relations, and the broader dynamics driving events in Northeast Asia. Experience working in government or the private sector on related issues and Japanese language proficiency are strongly preferred.
- Conduct thorough and meticulous economic, political, and policy research and analysis, as well as business due diligence;
- Draft executive memos, reports, briefing materials and other written products for external (client) and internal (TAG) consumers related to geopolitical, business, and regulatory developments in Japan and throughout Northeast Asia;
- Participate collaboratively in small team settings;
- Track Japanese market dynamics and industry developments impacting client equities; and
- Provide logistical and event support for client engagements in Washington, DC and, as needed, in the region.
Required Experience and Qualifications:
- High-level proficiency in Japanese;
- Strong understanding of Japanese domestic politics, business, and U.S.-Japan relations;
- Outstanding research and writing skills;
- Strong grasp of business strategy fundamentals, particularly in Asian markets;
- Self-starter and ability to excel in a fast-paced, dynamic environment;
- Strong attention to detail and excel under tight deadlines;
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications – demonstrated fluency in Excel and other statistical languages a plus; and
- Team player with eagerness for professional development.
Desired Focus and Expertise:
- Strong working proficiency in Japanese is considered a plus;
- Demonstrated economic, policy, and political expertise in Japan and Northeast Asia;
- Work and/or internship experience in Japan; and/or
- Government or private sector experience directly related to Japan or U.S.-Japan relations.
Candidates must be eligible to work in the United States.
All interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, a two-page analytical writing sample, and most recent academic transcript to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please submit all documents in the following format: “Name – Document Type” e.g., “John Smith – Resume”.